Have you ever received a message saying you get a prize or package from overseas? Be careful, you might be in for a scam.
These days, sending packages from overseas can be done easily. You can just use your smartphone to send or receive a package from other countries.
Shipping a package from overseas would usually require a clearance fee from the customs office on top of other administration fees to import the goods into the country. Fraudsters take advantage of this to ask their victims to make payments for the clearance fee. In addition, fraudsters would also use fake couriers as if the package is being shipped to your place.
Characteristics of Overseas Package Scams
- Scammers will play different roles, one person to approach the victim and another person to act as a fake courier
- Scammers will usually approach the victims personally through social media
- Scammers will give a certain prize to their targets
- After that, the fake courier will send the prize and send fake receipt to the target
- The victim will receive news that the package has arrived in Indonesia, but the fake courier will say it cannot be shipped and need a clearance fee.
- Scammers will ask the victim to transfer a certain amount of money to their account to pay for clearance.
After the victim transfers the requested money, the scammers will leave and disappear without a trace. At this point, the victim will find it difficult to verify the authenticity of the courier and bank account due to country barriers which need a quite long time to process. After the bureaucratic process is completed, the money would already be gone.
Tips to Avoid Overseas Package Scams
- Do not easily believe prizes news, ensure its authenticity by asking for evidence.
- Always check the shipping receipt at the official courier website after making payment.
- Call Halo BCA at 1500888 and report it if you were scammed.
Share this information to your loved ones to prevent them from being scammed. Always be careful in accepting offers of receiving some goods. Be cautious and be #GenerasiAntiModus by stay updated on the latest methods of scams at www.bca.co.id/awasmodus